Mockups and Wax
What You Need To Know About Dental Wax Mockups in Encino
Importance of Mock Up in Dental Restoration
- It simulates and gives a clear impression of what is expected of the final outcome.
- According to patients’ desire, the outcome of a mock up exercise is temporal and subject to modifications.
- Due to the temporal and modifiable nature of mock up exercises, it can be repeated as many times as possible until it best suits the patient’s predetermined smile preference.
- Having a glimpse of what the outlook/result will be like helps to stimulate a sense of trust between the patient and their dentist.
- It also provides opportunity for the dentist to evaluate the patient's desires and change the treatment plan accordingly.
Steps Required in Mock Up Diagnosis
- The first step to take in a mock up exercise is an examination of the patient and a discussion of his/her aesthetic concern which enables the dentist to understand or get a glimpse of what the patient thinks is beautiful or desirable relating in a smile.
- With the help of pictures and a consultation with the patient, an impression of the teeth will be made with a cast fabricated. The dental technician is then informed of the required changes to be made on the cast.
- During changes, the dentist will work in partnership with the patient, they discuss the wax up and make necessary alterations until a desired form or pattern is attained.
- Once the desired result is achieved based on the patient's observation, a silicon index is then fabricated. A resin material is then placed in the index, which is subsequently transferred to be placed on the teeth. The wax up is copied to the teeth. Once the index is removed, the final outcome is shown.
- At completion, a photograph of the new look is presented to the patient to take home. In some other cases, patients can be allowed to take mock ups home and make a proper assessment of them over a little while before a final decision is taken.
It is however important to note that teeth need to be modified before the fabrication of the prosthesis. Mock ups cannot be used as a diagnostic procedure. In this case we can evaluate the final result of the treatment at the provisional stage, before the construction of the final work.